The Parishes of the North Leightonstone Benefice are The Alconburys, Buckworth, The Giddings, Hamerton, The Riptons, The Stukeleys, Upton and Winwick
All Saints Church Buckworth has one Sunday service a month
See the village notice board, or the Benefice website, for the times and dates of our monthly All Saints Church service. The village notice board and Benefice website will also announce any changes, extra or special services. Every Saturday the church is open between 9am and 3pm.
Contacting the Clergy
Rector : Rev’d Mandy Flaherty, Tel: 01480 896541,
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Priest: Rev’d Cannon Fiona Brampton, Tel. 01480 538726
e-mail: revfiona @norleigh.org.uk
Churchwarden: Margaret Warrener, Holly Lodge Bungalow, Upton, Tel. 01480 890228
Church Secretary : Diane Simmonds, 2, Bream Close, Buckworth, Tel. 01480 896295
Church Access : A key is available from the Churchwarden or the Secretary
Funding Details : Like many small rural churches, in addition to our collections and fund-raising events, we need donations. If you are able to make a single or regular donation please go to: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/allsaintsbuckworth or contact the Church Secretary for further information.
Do visit, come and join us; a warm welcome awaits you in this beautiful church
The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and spire, and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the earliest parts of the present church are the 12th century eastern angles of what was probably an aisle-less nave. The south arcades and south aisle were built towards the end of the 13th century; the tower and spire around 1300, and the chancel, north arcade and north aisle about 1310. The south aisle and north wall of the north aisle were rebuilt around 1400, and the clearstory and porch were added about the same time.
The church was restored in 1862 when it was reroofed, and the spire in 1884. The tower was repaired in 1908 and the spire was repaired again in 1925 after being struck by lightning.
Very little was done to the Church until the 1980’s when a programme of repairs to the roof was started following a storm. The insides of the organ were also destroyed by the leaking roof. Fund raising started in earnest in 1989 with yearly music festivals and, since that time, the whole roof has been re-leaded, the inside of the tower re-plastered, complete redecoration of the inside of the Church with repairs and refurbishment to all of the windows now completed. The Church now has a limited electricity supply, although oil lamps are still used in the majority of the building.
The lime trees at the front of the Church need regular pollarding. It is hoped to continue restoring and repairing items noted in the last quinquennial inspection,as funds become available. Huntingdonshire District Council awarded a grant to the Parish Council for the provision of a path to the Church door and the refurbishment of the fence. In 2010 major works had to be undertaken to make the bells safe..this work was undertaken by Huntingdonshire Bell Restoration Society leaving one bell in use and safely storing the other 4, until such times as they can be re-hung. The tower and spire has now had holding repairs completed…louvres and bird guards have been installed to help minimise further deterioration from the weather and bird damage.